25 April 2011

Anzac Day

To many, today is just another public holiday where people get a day off work, but for others it's a day of remembering those who fought for us and Australia.

It's a day to remember old mates, loved ones and all the diggers whose lives were lost fighting in warzone countries, whether it be in Gallipoli, Africa, Palestine, Papua New Guinea, Vietnam, Afghanistan or Iraq.

My grandfather, my Dad's dad, fought in WWI as a Lance Corporal within the 12th Australian Light Horse Regiment, then served as a Sergeant in WWII.  He was one of the lucky ones and made it back home.

I thought I'd share some photos that were taken by him when he was on assignment during WWI.







Unfortunately I never got to meet him or my grandmother as they both died years before I was born.

Dad doesn't speak about him very much, so I have been finding out bits and pieces from one of my cousins who is also interested in our family history. About five years ago I found copies of old war records and other information on the Australian War Memorial website, which my husband and I found fascinating. It included his application papers, transfer papers, dental records, nominal rolls, and copies of medical reports etc.

To this day we're uncertain whether my grandfather was apart of the "Light Horse charge" of Beersheba. To read that he could have possibly been there when this event occured is awe-inspiring. My cousin, my Dad's brother's daughter, has copies of all my grandfathers medals, photos and war diary's, which one day I hope to read.

While I may never know who he was or what he was like, to know he is an Anzac will always make me proud.

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old.
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
We will remember them."

Lest we forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks for popping by, I love hearing from my readers. Feel free to leave your comment here :)