28 May 2011

In search for the perfect pair of maternity jeans

Today I went on a shopping expedition on my own (which is a bit of luxury for me, as I don't get to do that that much anymore) in search of some affordable maternity clothes, in particular jeans and pyjamas.

It's so hard finding nice, stylish maternity clothes that don't cost a bundle, and that also don't look like something my mother would of worn when she was pregnant with me and my brothers.

My first stop was Big W. Big W's maternity range was very limited. I tried on their only pair of maternity jeans, which felt more like a pair of pants that your grandmother would wear - with the big elasticised waist but made to look like a pair of jeans. While the price sounded good ($35.00) the design didn't look very appealing or was very flattering.

So on to my next stop...Target. Besides Target's own range of maternity wear, they sell "Catriona Rowntree's" maternity range. While there are some nice clothes available, I found most to be marketed to the working Mum-to-be and not a lot designed for the Stay-at-home Mum like me. The jeans I tried on were $59.00, which I thought was a bit rich for Target.....I wondered if that was because they had Catriona Rowntree's name stamped on them. Today they had a sale on, which meant they would have only cost me $40.00, woohoo! Unfortunately, the pair I tried on weren't very appealing and didn't feel like they would grow with me when I got bigger. I'm wanting something that I can wear throughout winter and that will hold my tummy and bum in place! I don't think I am asking for too much.

The next store I searched in was Myer, and what a disappointment that was. I usually love going to Myer and looking at their clothes. But today I found out that they have stopped stocking maternity clothes. I'm very disappointed Myer. Can you tell me why you'd stop selling maternity clothes? Don't you think there's a market for maternity clothes? Hmmm, haven't you seen the large amount of pregnant women walking around the plaza lately? I'll give you a hint...they need clothes to wear too!

I remember when I was pregnant with "Popette", and Myer had just launched their maternity range, which was only 2 1/2 years ago!! Regardless to say, I never bought any of their maternity clothes. While they had some lovely clothes, I thought some of the items were a bit overpriced for what they were. Of course they were of good quality, but I couldn't see myself spending $80 on a pair of trousers which I would only wear a number of times.

I don't understand why it is so hard to find clothes that are affordable, and still really stylish.

I have bought quite a few pieces of clothing from K-Mart as I found the quality fairly good and the price was good. For my last pregnancy, I bought a pair of jeans for $39.00, which I wore to death. I'm wearing them again this time round, but need another pair for winter. So looked at the jeans they had in stock this season, but they are not nearly as nice as the pair I have and are not very comfortable.

On to my second last stop, Pumpkin Patch. I love Pumpkin Patch, especially the children's clothing, they are simply gorgeous. I like it even better when they have an "End of Season" sale, or sale on discounted clothing with an extra % off...woohoo!!  They are a little too expensive for everyday wear for my little cherub, but when they have a big sale on and I can snap up a few bargains, it's great. I found their maternity jeans to be a bit pricey for my liking (around the $70 - $80 mark). I tried on a pair of jean-like pants which were on sale, but they weren't for me. They were a bit too clingy and shiny in the areas I didn't want to be clingy and shiny.
  
I finally found a pair of jeans from none other than Jeanswest. They were the only jeans store I came across who sold maternity jeans. This weekend they have a 40% sale on all clothes, so instead of paying $69.95, I picked up a pair for $41.95...what a bargain! Now $40.00 is much better than $70 - $80+ on a pair of maternity jeans which I'm not going to get a lot of wear out of.

So in the end, I didn't go home empty-handed. Unfortunately nowhere sold maternity pyjamas, so I guess I'll just have to stick to my flannies which keep falling off me until I find something more suitable.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks for popping by, I love hearing from my readers. Feel free to leave your comment here :)