15 May 2012

Motherly advice unwanted

 

Source: http://www.sisterhoodofthesensiblemoms.com/
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I have an older cousin, she's 50, single and has no children, but loves to give me advice about my children. Lately I've been getting a weekly phone call from her, as she's been concerned about me. For those of you who don't know, for the past 12 or so weeks, my daughter has been sick (for a better word) with a constant runny nose and night-time cough (which lasted for 4 or so weeks). The doctors haven't been able to cure it or tell me what the problem really is (I've had them tell me it could be Asthma, Allergies, Whooping cough (which it wasn't), pnuemonia, post-nasal drip etc) so we have been spending a lot of time at home, and not really catching up with anybody as I haven't been sure whether its contagious or not. That with a 7 month old teething bubba and housework that never seems to go away has been taking its toll on me.

My cousin usually rings late (around 8pm or after) because she likes to ring after she's had dinner and when she settles down to unwind. I find it too late as we are trying to get our eldest in bed and in the likely chance she's in bed early, my Hubby and I are trying to unwind ourselves, which means no telephone conversations....just us, maybe a DVD and some wine & chocolate or watching the latest shows we've recorded on TV.

During our last phone conversation we were talking about time to myself, and that I hadn't had much of it lately. She then started telling me that I should explain to my nearly 3.5 year old that Mummy needs time to herself each day (which she should understand), and to not disturb Mummy for
a whole hour. (This is coming from someone who has never looked after my daughter or has kids of her own, and doesn't get interrupted every 5 minute's with "Mum, I'm hungry", "Mum, I want something to eat", "Mum, blah blah blah"

While I loved the thought of it, I nearly laughed out loud!

Don't get me wrong, I love my cousin, she is lovely. It's nice that she's concerned enough to ring and check up on me each week...it's actually very sweet of her. Especially, since she has enough worries of her own with caring after two elderly parents.
But doesn't it make you laugh when someone who doesn't have kids loves to give out advice.

Do you ever get family, relatives or single friends who love to give you advice about bringing up your own kids, when they haven't had kids of their own or no what it is like to be a parent?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks for popping by, I love hearing from my readers. Feel free to leave your comment here :)