Do you ever take the time to think about the type of things that you love most about yourself or your life? I must admit, I don't frequently think of what I love about myself. Lately I've been focussed on the things I'd like to fix with myself (ie. weight, my appearance, attitude, mood etc) or how I would like things to be (ie. more time for myself) instead of being happy with what I have right in front of me.
|Do you wear your heart on your sleeve?|
If I think about it, I'll admit that I haven't been happy with my attitude for some time. The person I used to be before having my girls (probably even before I got married) was a fun loving, happy, bubbly type of person.
But over the last couple of years I've slowly changed. I'm not going to detail it here, as it is something for me to deal with personally, but it's something I hope to change...I need to change...if not, I will continue to be unhappy with myself (which I don't want), and probably hurt the people I care about (another thing I don't want to happen).
Recently I read a post on Debra Dane's blog (Home Life Simplified) about "30 things that I love about myself", which inspired me to sit and have a hard think about what it is that I love about myself and what makes me unique.
What makes me the person I am (flaws & all) and how I can improve myself and make me a better me. Someone I am happy to be.
So here's my list in no particular order.
- I am a mother
- I am creative (I love being creative on my own and now with "Popette". It's something I've loved ever since I was small and I hope my girls will grow a love for it too!)
- I am a good listener
- I am a good friend
- I am a loving wife (My hubby & I will be married 16 years this year, he is my best friend and I am so happy to have met him)
- I am a good daughter (My parents did so much for me growing up, so I think its only fair that I'm there for them when they need it)
- I am good at thinking outside the square (When I was working I was paid to think outside the square, and come up with designs or concepts for marketing material which I loved.)
- I am patient (Although there are times when I've been pushed to my limits by a wingy toddler!!)
- I am resilent (This year has been the hardest with my girls being terribly sick, my Dad's cancer coming back, and both my brothers moving away leaving it up to me to support my parents, amazingly I'm still standing)
- I am trusting (I always thought being trustworthy was a good trait, but often I feel taken advantage of by so called friends and aquaintances)
- I am a lover of coffee (Not against tea at all, but I love a good coffee)
- I am a dreamer (Growing up I was always daydreaming about doing something with my career or becoming something, I still have those sort of dreams but unfortunately have stopped chasing them. I hope my girls dream big.)
- I am strong (Not so much physically, but have had to be emotionally going through a traumatic birth with "Popette" who was born at 29 weeks + 3 days, and in the NICU for 50 days)
- I am genuine (What you see, is what you get. I don't pretend to be something I'm not.)
- I am compassionate (I care when someone tells me a problem they have had, or if something has happened to a friend or person I know)
- I am sensitive
- I am an artist (I love art, and love to paint and draw, although its something I haven't done much of recently)
- I am a world traveller (I have been very lucky to have travelled overseas, can't wait to do more once the girls are bigger)
- I am a lover of good wine and food (We don't go out as much as we used to, but hubby and I both love to dine out at a nice restaurant once in a while).
- I am a good cuddler (There's nothing I love more than cuddling or snuggling my hubby, and wrapping my arms around my girls and giving them the biggest hugs and kisses)
- I love to learn new things (Lately, I've been learning how to decorate cakes using fondant, and scrapbooking)
- I love to read (I haven't read a novel in a while, must buy one for our next holiday!)
- I love movies (Just watched "Best Exotic Marigold Hotel" for 2nd time other night, is the best movie I've seen in a long time!)
- I am a writer (Writing is something I have been working on with this blog, one day I'd love to write & publish children's books)
- I love spending time with family (My hubby & girls mean the world to me. I love and treasure everyday I have with them...although there are days I'd like a break :))
- I love to bake (Last week I made "Cherub's" 1st birthday cake, which featured "Buzzbee" from The Hive and some flowers & butterflies)
- I love taking photos (I like to capture special occasions and moments, which I can look back on)
- I love making people in my life happy (Especially my hubby & girls)
- I am a battler (When I was young I had petite mild epilepsy, and required physio/therapy for developmental issues. There were some things Doctors thought I would never do (like drive a car) but I proved them wrong)
- I am thoughtful
Have you written a similar sort of list? I'd love to hear about it if you have.