28 March 2013

Craft: Creating easter eggs using food colouring

For a little one-on-one time with "Popette" yesterday, I thought it would be fun to make some colourful easter eggs using food colouring.




All you need is:
  • Hard Boiled or Blown Out Eggs
  • Food Coloring (be careful as ours left stains!)
  • Vinegar
  • Water
  • Spoon

Instructions:


For our craft I used blown out eggs. If you don't like the idea of blowing out eggs, you could always use hard boiled eggs.

How to blow out an egg:

I first washed the eggs under running water to get rid of any stickyness.

Then using a needle made a hole in the top and bottom of the egg. To get mine made quickly, and please an eager "Popette", I made the holes quite large so when I blew out the eggs yolk it ran out more easily.



After emptying out the eggs, I gave them another quick clean with some hand wash detergent, and let them dry in an empty egg carton.



Making up the colours:

Using room temperature water add a 1/2 cup of water into a mug with a 1 tablespoon of vinegar. We made three colours, Red, Blue and Yellow, so made up 3 mugs with water & vinegar. Then "Popette" and I added about 20 drops of our preferred food coloring.



Gently place your egg in the mug of food coloring. Then slowly stir or let it sit in the colouring, watching it carefully. When you are happy with the shade of colour pull it out and leave on some paper towel or place in an empty egg carton.




Because I made the wholes in the eggs a little large, a whole lot of food colouring came pouring out so having the egg cartons can be handy to catch any drips!





With the leftover colours I set "Popette" up with some art paper and brushes, and let her make some paintings...two crafts out of one!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks for popping by, I love hearing from my readers. Feel free to leave your comment here :)