02 September 2013

Is she ready for "big school"

I found this great post via a feed on Facebook the other day, which talked about "What should a 4 year old know". It came just at the right time for me, I've been stressing so much about Popette starting (or not starting) kindy next year, that I've forgotten she's only 4 (+9mths) and still learning (as she likes to tell me!).

I've been thinking (stressing) about things like...
  • will she be able to cope with going to the toilet on her own (some days she'll ask one of us to go with her),
  • will she be okay at school drop-off - she had terrible anxiety problems at the beginning of the year
  • whether she's going to have the concentration, and can be quiet when the teachers talk (she talks non-stop!),
  • will she be able to manage her lunch box, opening her sandwiches etc.
  • whether she'll be able to remember her full name & address,
  • "stranger danger" (she needs to know, but I don't want to scare her to death!)
  • whether she'll be able to remember her hat, lunch box, raincoat etc and put them in her bag.
Even little things like will she be able to use scissors, write her name, raise her hand & ask the teacher a question....I'm sure I'm like any mother who is new to a child starting school? Right? Just a few nerves. Nothing to worry about. Right? (This is where you chime in, "She'll be fine, don't stress. Everything is going to be alright!")

I had a chat to her daycare teacher last week, who told me she had no concerns about Popette starting kindergarten next year, and said that she'd be fine.

I guess that's great news.....but as any mother that's new to a child starting kindy, I'm feeling a little apprehensive. Hubby of course, has no issues and is quite happy for her to start school next year.

Whenever I say to someone that I've been wondering whether to hold Popette back, he will pipe up that it's only me and not him!

Popette's photo taken at daycare

Of course Popette can't wait to go to "big school". The other day she said to me, "Mumma can I go to big school now and not go to preschool anymore". What happened to my tiny little Popette. My sweet baby girl. I can't believe she will be 5 in January. It doesn't seem that long ago, that she was my tiny sweet, precious baby girl laying in the humidicrib at hospital.

I'm going to miss having her around at home. While she can drive me crazy, she has been a delight as well. We've had so much fun making "something special", or making craft or painting. Going to music class, catching up with friends, going to the library or park. It'll be strange with just Cherub at home. While I adore Cherub, I think I'll be a little lost without Popette by my side. Suggesting things for us to do, or saying "I know what we can do Mum" or "Mumma let's make something special for Daddy".

Who was more nervous when your child started school, you or them?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks for popping by, I love hearing from my readers. Feel free to leave your comment here :)