17 March 2014

Being in the moment

I'd be lying if I said I was good at being in the moment. Somedays I will be quite happy to sit on the floor and play with the girls, and not give a toss about the housework or cleaning that needs doing. And just enjoy that time with the girls in playing whatever game they want me to play.

Then there are days when I'm feeling so overwhelmed with the mess of the house that I miss out on being in the moment with my two girls.

For me being in the moment is like learning a new skill. I'm not great at it at first, but after a while of learning how to do it, it becomes a little easier.

Source: Pinterest*

There are moments when I've caught myself checking Facebook or a text message on my phone, and realised that it's not important. Instead of looking at my phone, I should be in the moment so I don't miss out on what's important, like my daughter learning how to swim. I am so guilty of spending half of the lesson checking my phone, instead of watching my eldest swim her hardest. Now when I go to swimming lessons I give her all of my attention.

I have to keep reminding myself that these moments won't last forever.

Take yesterday for example. It was a beautiful Autumn afternoon, my Hubby and the girls were outside running around in the sun, squealing with laughter and having fun kicking a ball. I on the other hand was in front of the computer reading blogs and checking Facebook. I was suffering a cold and feeling so miserable, but you know what made me feel more miserable was that I could hear the laughter outside and had the thought that I was "missing out".

Instead of feeling miserable for myself, I should have sat outside in the sun (which probably would have made me feel better), and soaked up their laughter. Oh hindsight!

Lately I am savouring the talks I have with Popette on our way home from school. I am training myself to listen to her and just be in the moment when she talks about what she did at school and who she played with, rather than half listen to her and think of what needs to happen when we get home.

I am also savouring the time I spend with Cherub when Popette is at school, because I know how quickly this time will fly by and one day I will be wishing why didn't I spend more quality time with Cherub.

This morning we played dinosaurs on the floor and kicked the ball out the backyard.

While I still have chores I need to get done around the house, I will make the time for my girls and try and be in the moment.

How do you make sure that you are being in the moment?
* http://www.pinterest.com/pin/276408495852940387/

12 comments:

  1. Being mindful is definitely a lesson learnt for me - I think the more mindful we are the more it comes naturally. I find focusing on my breath brings me back to the present moment xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elisa, Being in the moment is something I'm still learning to be better at. xx

      Delete
  2. i struggle with this as well but am coming along - just today i was at my yoga class (have been making it twice a week for a while now) and today i stayed in the moment of the class (1 1/2 hrs) for about 90% or more of the time- in the beginning my mind would wander and i would be caught up in the future... with my girls as well i am working to give them 100% focus when i am with them as i admit in the past i have multi tasked even with them : (

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its so easy to loose your concentration at yoga isn't it! I used to do pregnancy yoga and when I was relaxing and supposed to be focusing on my breathing, I would think about what I needed to do afterwards! xx

      Delete
  3. It's hard trying to be in the moment all the time. I guess we have choices on how we spend our time. I've done the same as you sitting on the computer while my girls have been having fun outside with my hubby but sometimes it can be a great break for me too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean Rebecca. I feel when I have a little break I am inclined to be more in the moment with the girls :)

      Delete
  4. It's not easy, but I just try to think to myself that it's better to have a messy house than children who no longer bother to ask you to play or laugh with them! Emily @ Have A Laugh On Me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true Emily! I've always said that the dishes and housework can wait, but my children's childhoods won't. :)

      Delete
  5. We're practicing mindfulness at Casa Eats World but I have to admit I find it hard. There are so many distractions and I have to focus on being in the moment. But it's worth it for the quality it aadds to time with my family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know its something I need to practice in getting better at. I sometimes can miss moments, if I am too caught up in my own thing ;)

      Delete
  6. It's really difficult to live in the moment sometimes, isn't it? I really empathise with this. Kx

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thanks for popping by, I love hearing from my readers. Feel free to leave your comment here :)