27 November 2014

Creating our advent calendar

This year instead of buying one of those licensed advent calendars filled with cheap chocolate from the supermarket, I wanted to create a calendar filled with special outings, craft activities, treats and other fun things the girls could do together. I also wanted to avoid them fighting over who was getting the chocolate from the calendar. Which then would make me feeling guilty for not buying two calendars!



I originally thought of making my own advent calendar, but when I weighed up the cost to buy all the pieces I needed I found it cheaper to buy one instead. So off I went in search for the perfect advent calendar. 

The calendar I was searching for had to be festive, have little pockets that could be filled with treats or notes, and something that was long lasting, so we could use it over and over again. We found this cute little Christmas tree in Myer, which the girls love and can't wait for it to be pinned up Monday. 




To get you in the Christmas spirit, I've jotted down 25 ideas that we've come up with to fill the little pockets of our advent calendar.

  1. Write a letter to Santa {Its never too late - here you can email the Jolly Old Fella or complete a letter online!}
  2. Spend the day Christmas shopping
  3. Play Christmas carols on the iPod, keyboard and have a sing-a-long
  4. Wrap up Christmas presents
  5. Buy an ornament from the Christmas shop {Our girls love the Christmas store at Myer}
  6. {Special Outing} - Catch the train into the city to see Christmas tree in Martin Place and visit Santa’s Cave
  7. Pick out the Christmas tree & decorate it {We buy a freshly cut tree from the local RFS, who receive the proceeds}
  8. Make & decorate a gingerbread house
  9. Create a Christmas ornament out of craft
  10. Watch a Christmas movie with a hot chocolate
  11. Create Christmas cards & wrapping paper for the grandparents presents
  12. Get a photo taken with Santa
  13. Make & decorate gingerbread men
  14. {Special Outing} - Watch the Christmas Carols 
  15. Make a sign for Santa and post out the front of the house
  16. {Treat} Christmas stamps (from art shop)
  17. Borrow Christmas book from the library
  18. Write and handout Christmas cards 
  19. Put on a Christmas puppet show
  20. Send a letter to a friend to wish them a Merry Christmas
  21. Skype with a friend to wish them a Merry Christmas
  22. {Treat} Christmas stickers
  23. Make some Christmas craft
  24. Go and see the Christmas lights and displays    
  25. {Treat} Candy cane   


Hubby & I have been coming up with ideas for the calendar while the girls are in bed, so not to ruin the surprise! We hope they enjoy it.


Do you use an advent calendar?


Do you make your own or buy a licensed calendar from the store?

What ideas have you included in yours?





2 comments:

  1. I LOVE all your gorgeous ideas. We do a similar thing... a treat and something to do as a family.. although I am going to be away for 10 of the days so I have included special things to tide the boys over until I return ;) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you are bringing the boys something special back from your trip Son, enjoy your time away! I'm very jealous :)

      Delete

Hello! Thanks for popping by, I love hearing from my readers. Feel free to leave your comment here :)