30 January 2018

Gaining "focus" for the new year

A few weeks ago I revealed my guiding word for 2018 - "Focus". I hadn't realised it at the time but I chose "Focus" as my word in 2015. For some reason it escaped my mind. I guess there's a reason why I have chosen it again, maybe with everything that's been going on in my life I needed to regain my focus on what's really important and forget the bullshit that gets served up from time to time.




My intention this year is to focus on:

my health & fitness - this past Christmas has definitely added some extra kgs to my waistline, so I need to get myself back into some regular form of exercise, and be aware of how much I am eating.

read more - Over the holidays I have been borrowing books from our local library, and been enjoying reading them in bed with my coffee in the morning. At the moment I am reading "The Magic" by Rhonda Byrne, which is on the magic of gratitude, and the other is Brené Brown's book on wholehearted living - "The gifts of Imperfection", which I'm constantly dog-earing pages (I'm bad)

W
henever I get thinking negatively or 'why us', I am using gratitude to remember the good stuff we have experienced as a family, items we own that allows us to do things together (like our car) as well as people I am grateful for in our life.


be more mindful - Along with becoming more grateful, I am trying to be more mindful with my thinking about myself & other people and how I react to those thoughts. Popette recently turned 9, and is at an impressionable age where she is starting to feel big emotions like love, remorse, regret etc, and has been expressing herself to us a lot lately. I feel for my big girl as she is very sensitive, and I want to be there for her through this, and ensure I set a good example to my girls.

to create - I want to allow myself time to paint & draw, because when I don't I crave & miss it. To be able to sell my artwork is still on my 'to-do' list, so I hope to get closer to that goal this year.

hobbies - I have been playing around with my new DSLR camera Hubby bought me for my birthday 😊 Our last camera was a Nikon point & shoot, so it's been a while since I've used a SLR. I am hoping to take up some classes or a course, and learn how to take better photos.

build & promote my business - With my VA business I have been trying to focus on who my target audience is, and how to attract those clients. I have been marketing via social media, as well as delivering a flyer (its a bit old school, but worth a go) to businesses I think can benefit from my services...its been slow and harder than I imagined, but I am hoping that one day all the work will pay off. I want to be able to demonstrate to my girls that if you work hard at something, whether it's your business, or studying, you can achieve anything you set your mind to.

Have you chosen a guiding word this year? What are your intentions?

4 comments:

  1. Sounds great. Instead of dog earring library books I use these little plastic flags that are removable. I have a ton of them as I mark up cookbooks and non fiction books galore!!!

    I am signed up for a year with my camera a free class with Emma Davies but have not started yet (crap- not sure if afraid of my DSLR or just delaying starting out of laziness but she sends an email lesson each week- you can sign up on her site any time I think)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My word this year if focus too. I feel like I've spent the last year or two being dragged form whim to whim. And not only mine, other people's as well. Good luck this year word-buddy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can sure tell you are doing all you can to start the year right! Isn't it hard seeing our kids go through the gamut of emotions and we cannot do much to stop them as we realise 'it's about life'....still hard! My word is a mix of words using the acronym B.O.L.D. I wear it engraved on a bracelet so I can remind myself of what I said I would be. Good luck with FOCUS this year...your camera sounds like it will give you lots of fun too. Denyse x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I decided not to choose a word this year and just go with the flow and see where it takes me. It's certainly been interesting so far and I'm looking forward to see where the rest of the year takes me.

    I can highly recommend the Clickin' Mom's website and their classes and breakouts (mini-breakouts), they are really good and cater for all levels of knowledge.
    #teamIBOT

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thanks for popping by, I love hearing from my readers. Feel free to leave your comment here :)